The Poems of John Evans - Inspirational Reflections on Life and Love.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tonight

The trouble with writing blogs is that I usually don't get around to it until late at night, when I feel about as creative as a tree stump and have the imagination of a stone.  When being an artist and a writer was my only source of income I was focused on it - well, that and selling my work.  Now, I work what I call a straight job.  After seeing clients all day and finishing up formatted paperwork that discourages any form of creativity, then doing a 3 miler to release the day, I sit down here at the computer and feel burned out.  So, I've got to ask myself whether the illusion of financial security is more important than being an artist and writer, which is a daily gamble.  One of the few art show jokes that I ever heard was about the artist who won the lottery and was asked what he was going to do now that he had millions.  "Well", he said, "I'll probably keep doing art shows until the money runs out."

The difference between a regular job and being an artist - self employed, is the difference between being a herd animal and being a sailing wind.  Reality is that my herd animal job is as tenuous as a steers day on the prairie.  Budget cuts are our predators.  As an artist, I can't be fired or laid off.  I can screw up and lose everything, but everything is just that - things.  Things are replaceable.  So is money.  How you live your life is not replaceable.  You don't die with money.  You die with memories, and within them lies your fulfillment or regrets.










All content - poems, posts & images - are ©2010 by John Evans. No permission is given to post, share, copy, print, e-mail, reproduce, distribute or link to. All Rights Reserved. Please contact John Evans at JohnEvansPoet.Com for licensing inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment