The Poems of John Evans - Inspirational Reflections on Life and Love.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day at the Beach Ch.43



Chapter 43



It was a quiet Saturday morning. Susan sat in one of the stuffed chairs on the old wooden front porch, still in her bathrobe, her feet propped up on the porch railing. Recon lazed beneath her feet. The large expanse of pasture between the farm house and Soquel Drive made the sound of any passing vehicles almost unnoticeable. Horses and cattle concentrated on the grasses that seemed forever green beneath their hooves, the horses lifted their heads occasionally to see if Susan might bring them an apple treat.

Susan heard the screen door close behind her. Brad came into view, his hair still mused from sleep, wearing jeans and barefoot. He kissed her on the forehead as he handed her a cup of coffee. As he sat down beside her, propping his feet on the railing also, a black SUV pulled into the long driveway and rambled confidently towards them.

“Who do you suppose that is?” Susan asked.

“It has that official look to it.” Brad responded, not moving. Recon leaped up and ran out to meet the occupants. Armando Martinez and Ted Warner exited the vehicle with smiles and waves.

“Looks like the Federales are here.” Brad said. “I'd better bring out the whole pot of coffee.” He rose and went inside, returning before they reached the porch.

The two men joined them, seating themselves in two other soft chairs that surrounded a table on the porch while Recon went to each one, prodding their hands for pets and scratches with his massive head.

“What's up, gentlemen?” Brad asked as they settled in after greetings. “You aren't going to put us on another operation, are you?”

Ted Warner smiled. “We wouldn't mind having you two working for us. But, I would say you have both done a job far beyond the expectations of world patriots, much less patriots of your country.”

Ted pulled a manilla envelope from his jacket. “I wish I could give this to both of you in a formal ceremony that would recognize your actions, but, as you know we are extremely clandestine. So, Colonel, you are retired once again with a raise in rank and retirement compensation to match it.”

He turned to Susan. “And you, young lady, are being rewarded the highest commendation allowable to a civilian and the offer of a job in an executive position with the agency within your field of expertise.”

“That's very generous of you, Director.” she responded. “But, this man right here - “ she said nodding towards Brad, “has made me an offer that I'm considering.”

“What's that?” asked Armando. “What could be a better offer than international intrigue and dangerous adventure?”

“Well - “ said Susan, “I think I just had a concentrated, lifetime amount of all of that, and even though it was exciting, if not terrifying, I think what it did was lead me to what I really wanted.”

“Oh? What did you really want?” asked Armando.

She reached over and took Brad's hand. “I think this what I really wanted more than anything in the world. She waved her hand across the expanse of the view before her. “And, I recently realized, that since I was a little girl, this is where I wanted to be.”

“So, at your young age you are going to give up all that you have worked for?” asked Ted Warner.

“Not at all, Director. I have just discovered what I've been working towards Sometimes realizations come in unconventional and unexpected forms. What we all strive for is happiness and peace within ourselves. If we are very lucky, we discover what that is while we still have enough life left to enjoy it. I consider myself to be very lucky, if I pay attention and follow my own truth – my own heart.”

She paused and gazed at the scene beyond the porch railing before speaking again.

“This is what it's all about, gentlemen.” She said. “It's not about wealth and power, or fame adventure and intrigue. It's about happiness, which is a state of mind.”

She turned towards Brad. “This crazy guy has asked me to marry him, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to smell like a horse half the time, kick cow crap off my boots and raise kids. If I get bored, we can go into town for dinner. That's about as exciting as I want it to get.”

“Well, I hope that you are right.” Ted said.

“I know that I am right. I can feel it in my soul, and you cannot be more right then that.”


                                              The End



All content - poems, posts & images - are ©2010 by John Evans. No permission is given to post, share, copy, print, e-mail, reproduce, distribute or link to. All Rights Reserved. Please contact John Evans at JohnEvansPoet.Com for licensing inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment