The Poems of John Evans - Inspirational Reflections on Life and Love.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Death and the living soul

I have been noticing, lately how people die.   I'm surprised by the dignity and acceptance when I see a person who knows.  Their age seem irrelevant to what they have to offer.  A teenage boy died this last Christmas, and left a legacy of profoundness.  He didn't have the years of experience to develop his wisdom like most people do, yet he did it just as well as the most seasoned Guru. 
Yes, I've been thinking about this a lot.  I think we are born with a guidance of wisdom.  Within us is an expression of it that can only come as our individuality chooses.  We all have the same understanding of 'life', and somewhere in our lives, express that wisdom.  We share it.  We expand it and give it clarity.
We have a desire to express that before we die, because it is a reflection of the soul, and that is our main purpose for being her - well, that and perpetuating the species so we can continue to expout wisdoms.
I've been informed that I have a short time to live.  I've got cancer.  It started me thinking what legacy do I have to leave?  I never did get married, but I raised kids of women that I've lived with in my life.  Luckily, they all turned out to be decent human beings who were content with the lives that they chose.  I could not ask for anything more than to see the kids grow up to be relatively happy and themselves.
The women with whom I lived have disappeared or passed on from my life except for a few, and they are women whom I am still very close too.  That probably doesn't make much sense to a young person, but how you perceive your relationships change as you get older if your paying attention at all.
A woman I lived with for seven years has offered to come to Washington to take care of me as my body falls apart.  I could hear the grief in her voice as she made her generous offer.  Our son, her son, called and wanted to know what he could do.  I said he could be a good father and husband and live a life of truth.  I didn't really have to tell him that, because that's exactly what he does and who he is.  I couldn't be prouder.
Realization and revelations are much the same when they strike.  We live on a planet of negative and positive polarities. It effects everything from the weather, daily actions to your state of mind.  Depending on what you believe in, we attach it to everything, using the terms to express it that the situation dictates.  Religion call it good and evil.  Christianity retains it as a combative perspective.  Good always fighting evil.  Which is unfortunate, because though it recognises the two elements, it does not address them from a point of resolve.
There is no good and evil, for Satan is a man made element of mass control.  Positive and negative are two sides of the same thing.  One cannot exist without the other.  You would have to idea what good looked like if you did not have the contrast of negative.  Negative is the classroom in which you learn who you are.  Positive is hopefully the end result of what you learned.  Sharing that with those you love and meet  is the legacy you leave for the rest of us to learn from.
You can say that people don't always leave such wisdoms.  Some people leave here as destroyers, but if you look at the big picture, they are the ones that often leave the most for us to learn from, for they can show us the horrors that man is capable of, and from those depths we become a better people.
I'm an old man now.  I have done do many things in my life that most people who don't know me well, don't believe my stories.  At twelve years old I knew that age didn't have much to do with wisdom.  What did, was how I perceived my life.  At twelve, I realized that the adults weren't always that wise.  Some had the egos of kids, were self-centered and self-serving.  These people taught me a lot about who I am.
What I came up with was not much different than a dying teenager who missed out on all of my years of life - all the adventures that life gave to me.
We are the embodiment of life, and love is the expression desired by the living soul.  That is our goal as life forms.
You can lay religions, cultism and spirituality on this perspective, but then it becomes a taffy pull of beliefs.  I'm not a religious person, but I am a living soul, and that's as far as I want to take this.  What a reader adds to the concept for their spiritual comfort is their business.  I am quite content not believing in death

All content - poems, posts & images - are ©2010 by John Evans. No permission is given to post, share, copy, print, e-mail, reproduce, distribute or link to. All Rights Reserved. Please contact John Evans at JohnEvansPoet.Com for licensing inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment